Wine cap mushroom (Stropharia rugosoannulata), also known as garden giant mushroom, is a type of edible mushroom that is widely cultivated in gardens and outdoor spaces. It is native to Europe but can now be found in North America and other parts of the world.
The wine cap mushroom has a reddish-brown cap that can grow up to 30 cm (12 inches) in diameter and a stem that is 10-20 cm (4-8 inches) long. The gills underneath the cap are white when young but turn dark purple-brown as the mushroom matures.
This mushroom is popular among gardeners because it can be grown easily on wood chips or straw and can help break down organic matter in the soil. It is also a nutritious food source, containing high levels of protein, vitamins, and minerals.
When cooking wine cap mushrooms, it is recommended to sauté them with garlic and butter or use them in soups and stews. However, it's important to properly identify and prepare mushrooms before consuming them as some mushrooms can be poisonous. If you are unsure about the safety of a mushroom, it's best to consult an expert or avoid eating it altogether.
Our supply of Wine Cap kits is limited each year, with a maximum of one kit per customer. For larger orders and lead times, please send us an email.
A Wine Cap (King Stropharia) Outdoor Mushroom Grow Kit is a product that allows you to easily grow your own wine cap mushrooms at home, typically in an outdoor garden bed or raised bed. The kit contains everything you need to get started, including spawn (the mushroom's vegetative growth), hardwood chips (the mushroom's food source), and instructions for how to set up and care for your mushroom bed.
Here are some specifications for our Wine Cap (King Stropharia) Outdoor Mushroom Grow Kit:
- Weight: 6 lbs
- Contents: Spawn, hardwood chips, instructions
- Yield: A 6 lb kit can typically produce up to 50 lbs of mushrooms over the course of several growing seasons.
- Growing season: Wine cap mushrooms typically grow best in the spring and fall, when temperatures are mild and rainfall is frequent.
- Growing location: Wine cap mushrooms can be grown in an outdoor garden bed or raised bed, ideally in a spot that receives partial sun and has good drainage.
- Growing method: To set up your mushroom bed, you'll need to mix the spawn and hardwood chips together and spread them over the designated growing area. You'll then need to water the bed regularly and keep it moist throughout the growing season. As the mushrooms begin to grow, you'll need to harvest them regularly to encourage continued growth.
- Harvesting: Wine cap mushrooms can typically be harvested when they reach a size of 3-6 inches in diameter. You can simply cut them at the base with a sharp knife or scissors. The mushrooms will continue to regrow as long as growing conditions remain favorable.
- Edibility: Wine cap mushrooms are edible and highly nutritious, with a mild, nutty flavor and firm texture. However, like all mushrooms, it's important to properly identify them before consuming them to avoid eating any poisonous species.
Wine cap mushrooms can serve as a natural mulch in gardens, enhancing soil quality and preventing soil erosion. These mushrooms have a firm texture and a mild, nutty flavor, making them a versatile ingredient in numerous dishes. Wine cap mushrooms are also abundant in antioxidants, particularly ergothioneine, which can lower the risk of chronic diseases such as Alzheimer's disease and cancer. Researchers are studying wine cap mushrooms for their potential medicinal properties, such as immune system enhancement and cholesterol reduction. It's crucial to cook all mushrooms thoroughly to eliminate harmful bacteria or toxins before consuming them. When foraging for wild wine cap mushrooms, it's essential to exercise caution and only consume mushrooms that have been positively identified as safe.
- 6 Pound Colonized Spawn Bag
- Simple Instructions
Overall Customer Rating of 1 Reviews: